Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Discourse Analysis

For this analysis my main focus was the children in the families of the students at Job Corps. Job corps offers this great schooling for the teens and adults that have not had the best education, they are able to get there G.E.D. or study for a benefiting job. There are some students that have children so my question is, " Where do these children stay, is it hard to find child care with no or little income?". I tried to find articles on just the children involved in job corps but came up empty handed, so I then focused on just the ending of my question. I did find some great articles that all had a common topic, Low Income Families and Child Care. It seemed to me that many families that have low income tend to have there children watched by family members or friends instead of the high or medium income families that have a daycare provider.
Another thing I noticed in the article is they seemed to have a harsh bias towards the low income families. One article I read said that children in low income families were more likely not to graduate high school and support their family, and i would have to completely disagree with that statement. I personally have friends in low income families who have worked twice as hard than others due to the state they are in. They want the best for their furture children and want them to feel just as special as everyone else. I feel they sometimes have a stronger motivation to succeed in life because of what they have gone through.
The thing that caught my eye the most in almost every article I read was that many low income families only have one parent which is most likely the mother and the father is not in the picture. Growing up my parents go divorced when I was young and I remember it being hard for my mom and I at times. As I continued to read the articles the tone was informative to allow the reader to understand what is going on. However at the same time it almost seemed like the authors wanted you to be concerned about these kids and families. Which i would say worked because when i finish reading each article it made me be thankful for what I have but at the same time I was thinking aboout ways I could help.

Sources:
Adams, Gina, and Jeffery Capizzano. "Children in Low-Income Families Are Less Likely to Be." Snap Shots of America;s Families. 16 (2003): 1-2. Print.

Campbell, Frances, and Craig Ramey. "Effects of Early Intervention on Intellectual and Academic Achievement: A Follow-up Study of Children from Low-Income Families." Child Development. 65.2 (2008): 684-698. Print

Fuller, Bruce, Sharon Kagan, Gretchen Caspary, and Christiane Gauthier. "Welfare Reform and Child Care Options for Low-Income Families." Princeton University. 12.1 (2002): 96-119. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sam,

    Good work on your discourse analysis. I especially liked how you were able to make a personal connection with your research. There were a few things I noticed though, that I think you could strengthen:

    Your first paragraph has a lot of meta-process comments "I came up empty-handed" etc. Rather than telling us how you wrote this, just dive in to your points. Doing so will really strengthen your ethos.

    I wished you would go into more depth on the "harsh bias towards low income families," especially as it relates to your personal feelings. What exactly did they say that made you feel this way? How can your support what you're saying about their words? I felt like you weren't able to reconcile your personal feelings with the points they were making (and that you completely rejected their claims. How can you make room for what they're doing?

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete