Saturday, March 19, 2011

Annotated Bibs 2

“Do GED recipients differ from graduates and school dropouts?: Findings from an inner-city cohort.” Urban Education. January 2008. pg. 83-117. Print.

The author of this article did a study to find out the difference between dropouts who don’t get their GED and dropouts who did get their GED and also between dropouts who got their GED and high school graduates who went on to post secondary education. They looked more specifically in the difference between income, substance abuse, health, mental health, and crime; this study was taken from the Chicago Longitudinal Study. I believe this source seems very credible because it is peer reviewed and the author also lists every source he used. This way his work can be checked or I could even look more closely into a topic and do more research on that topic. I think this is one of the better sources I have found so far because it gives me information about the history of the GED test and how this experiment was done. It also talks about the details that the experiment looked into when they looked at income and substance abuse and other subtopics such as that.

"Non-Academic Challenges Faced by GED Scholars: A Report of the GED Scholars Initiative." Adult Learning 14.3 (2003): 11-13. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Web. 19 Mar. 2011.This author of this article talks about the struggles that GED students go through when they enter postsecondary education. It goes into detail about the nonacademic challenges that GED holders have to face when they are in college. I think that this is a fairly reliable article because it has a lot of quotes from actual college students who have a GED and not much organizational, time management, or communication skills to get help from advisors and councilors on campus. I think this illuminates my essay topic because I can tell my readers about the struggles that some GED holding college students have and ways they can work around those roadblocks and be successful college students. All of the resources that the author used are cited and this makes me think that the source is pretty reliable.

No comments:

Post a Comment